Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse coming to 3DS this summer
Shin Megami Tensei IV will be making its way to the Nintendo 3DS in the Americas this summer, Atlus announced yesterday. The game will be available in both digital and physical form for $49.99 and has underwent a name change from Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final, as it’s known in Japan, to Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse.
Atlus publish an in-depth blog post explaining the reasons for the name change, but it came down with something that “makes sense, sounds good, and looks good on the box.”
Atlus says the next iteration in the series will “overlap” the story of the original Shin Megami Tensei IV, and focus on a “Hunter cadet protagonist who gets killed by one of the demons treating post-apocalyptic Tokyo as their personal playground. However, the mysterious god Dagda resurrects the protagonists in exchange for his fealty, and sets him on a perilous path that treads the fine line between peace and anarchy.”
Here’s some more info from Atlus:
The plot of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse overlaps with Shin Megami Tensei IV (and features some familiar characters), but no previous experience with the original is required! The game features:
- Divine Intrigue – Choose between peace or anarchy while being a pawn in the gods’ chess game.
- Combat Partners – Hunting demons is dangerous, so count on some backup! Alongside the standard three demons, players will be able to rely on one of seven partners to help win battles.
- Oodles of Demons – Be on your guard because Tokyo is infested with a series record 450+ demons to fight, fuse, or recruit.
- Revamped Demon Fusion – Demons will have affinities for certain skills, so players can better plan the outcome of fusions.
- Classic SMT Combat – Prospective Hunters will exploit weaknesses, boost attributes, and unlock skill bonuses with the returning Press Turn and Smirking systems.