During the Sonic SXSW panel, SEGA announced that they’d release an update to Sonic Mania called Sonic Mania Plus, which would add new playable characters, additional content and updates to the game.
It appears that some of the new DLC was recently made available for PlayStation 4 users, but SEGA was quick to take it down. According to a user on Reddit, here are some of the new features in the update:
- All zones that lacked transitions now have them
- You can skip all cutscenes
- Skipping cutscenes between acts makes you lose your shield oddly
- Menus got a total overhaul
- You can now change the options on Save Files. Meaning you can use Insta-Shield, Super Peel out and & Knuckles mode in save file.
- The time limit can be disabled through this option
- Multiplayer added a non-stretched mode
- There’s a new DLC options in the menu
- Metal Sonic boss fight got changed in multiple ways
- Phase 2 was tampered to be reduced to 3 hits & for Silver Sonic to shoot bullets out to hit Metal when killed
- The run afterwards is shortened to reduce time
- Metal Sonic boss third phase got totally redone with a fight with Metal Sonic Kai from Knuckles Chaotix but only its Blue Metal Sonic Kai
- New graphics & sound effects were added as well
- Hydrocity Zone Act.2’s transition to the second phase of its boss got touched up on (there’s a tube graphic & you get pushed out of water now)
- Super Sonic got new animations including a brand new idle animation
- The ice blocks in Press Garden Act.2 got a graphical change
- The unused animations of characters looking back & forth in ice blocks got added
- Tails Chemical Plant Act.1 intro cutscene got added (it’s a new animation, not the known unused one)
Sonic Mania Plus is scheduled to release this summer on the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.