New Sega Sammy report shows Persona series surpass Shin Megami Tensei
SEGA Sammy has revealed in their annual financial report that the Persona series has exceeded the Shin Megami Tensei sereies. With the latest title in the Persona series, Persona 5, giving it a huge boost in units sold.
SEGA has stated that Persona 5 has sold 1.8 million units in North America, Asia, and Europe for both PS3 & PS4. With those sales, the Persona series has sold 8.5 million units while the Shin Megami Tensei series has sold 7.2 million units, since their releases in 1996 and 1987 respectively.
SEGA has also revealed more numbers with some of their most notable games:
- Sonic the Hedgehog series (1991): 360 million (units/downloads)
- Puyopuyo series (1991): 25 million (units/downloads/IDs)
- Yakuza series (2005): 10.5 million (units/downloads)
- Phantasy Star series (1987): 4.5 million IDs
- SEGA feat. Hatsune Miku series (2009): 5.5 million (units/downloads)